Monday, February 18, 2013

Honor a Founding Father with @Newcastle Founders’ Ale

newcastle founders ale uncoolIs there a better way to spend Presidents’ Day, which is primarily a day to celebrate the birthday of George Washington, one of our country’s Founding Fathers, than with a Newcastle Founders’ Ale?

Not if the beer is free, folks, and mine was thanks to my new best friends at Newcastle Brown Ale who sent me a couple to quaff.

(If you can maybe forgot it’s a British beer and that George Washington kicked those Red Coats’ tails in the Revolutionary War, that whole first sentence works. Just play along.)

Founders’ Ale has a nice light brown color, and pours with a sweet bubbly head. Like the Newcastle Winter IPA I tested the other week, it’s very light on the hops which is more acceptable in a pale ale like this than in an IPA. I think a lot of American IPAs and pale ales have gone overboard with the hopping anyway. A little extra is bracing but too much and it feels like someone just sandpapered your tongue.

Tastewise, Founders’ Ale starts a little sour then evolves into more of a sourdoughish flavor that weakens as the pint glass empties. Maybe a wee bit of caramel  or honey in the nose, but otherwise a fairly simple, smooth and refreshing beer without bite. Good for downing after you break a sweat shoveling snow or skiing like I did this weekend.

Soon, I hope to review a lovely looking batch of beers that the downright sexy people at Hanger 24 Brewery in California sent me recently. God bless their beery hearts.

P.S. I love this job.

13 comments:

  1. I couldn't find the Newcastle Winter Ale at my local parenting supply... I mean... alcohol supply outlet. I did not notice actually they only offered the original brown ale (a quite devilishly tasty treat). I was all set to try something new. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't miss much. Hangar 24 in California sent me some of its beers, which I soon write about, that you should try to find, though.

      Delete
  2. "You dreamed a dream in times gone by
    When hope was high
    And life worth living"

    Congrats on finally achieving landing your dream job. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. All those meds you are on, do they still let you drink?

      Delete
  4. Mmmm. I must remember next year to celebrate Presidents Day with beer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Though I don't drink they way others may, I relate somewhat in that I LOVE root beer. I live near a shop that is pure root beer product. It's comes from all over and ranges from gourmet to the downright awful. Keep up the reviews. I might have to join you from the non-alcoholic perspective.
    By the way, "sexy beers" is just too cool of a phrase. Perhaps too much for Always Home and Uncool. (just joshin')

    Jason
    The Cheeky Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Founder's Ale in the glass now.
    Smooth, clean, but somewhat lacking. A good session beer, but doesn't compare to the original brown (nor should it!). It does lead me to think of Bass Pale Ale, but with more biscuit undertones (that sourdough you mentioned). I like the drinkability and the ease of the hoppiness. If the founders made this first, it's easy to see how they found the Brown Ale.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Founder's Ale in the glass now.
    Smooth, clean, but somewhat lacking. A good session beer, but doesn't compare to the original brown (nor should it!). It does lead me to think of Bass Pale Ale, but with more biscuit undertones (that sourdough you mentioned). I like the drinkability and the ease of the hoppiness. If the founders made this first, it's easy to see how they found the Brown Ale.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In the glass now. My review:
    The first taste is that old Newcastle mix of mild maltiness and transparent hop flavor. There is very little hop presence in the nose. A smooth mouthfeel, neither heavy nor cloying. The after taste mellows into strains of biscuit and sourdough. This is a straight Pale Ale, not an IPA, so not a bitter bite, no citrus, and no need for fruit toppings. If the "Founder's" brewed this one first, it's easy to see how they got to the masterstroke of the Brown Ale. Maybe this is a watered down version of that, but I don't want to be that unkind to our friends at Newcastle Brewery. It's a nice touch, if true, that this comes from the "legendary Caledonian Brewery" with it's 140 year old copper pots.
    At 4.8% abv this is a nice session beer, but I'd rather have a Bass Ale if I'm looking for a pale ale.

    ReplyDelete

REMEMBER: You're at your sexiest when you comment.

AddThis

My Uncool Past