I'm interrupting the frivolity today (regularly scheduled programming will resume tomorrow) to ask if you or any one you know is a long-distance runner.
Cure JM Foundation, the all-volunteer nonprofit working to find a cure for Thing 1's autoimmune disease, will be a participating charity in the Carlsbad Marathon and Half Marathon on Jan. 24 and 25, 2009, which happens along the lovely oceanfront of southern California. A Cure JM team will run and raise money for more research.
Similar Cure JM teams raised nearly $500,000, combined, doing this at the Chicago marathon in 2006 and the Marine Corps Marathon in D.C. last year.
If you or someone you know is self masochistic, ur … dedicated enough to want to run 26.2 or even just 13.1 miles for a good cause:
- check out the links below, then
- drop me an e-mail, and I'll hook you up with My Love, the event chairwoman (like none of you saw that one coming, right?) so you can get all the details.
Run or volunteer and you get a wicked cool fluorescent green shirt like the ones the kids are wearing in the photo (click the photo to enlarge it for more details on the fundraiser).
As for The Uncool Household: My Love is wimping out and only doing the half marathon this time. Things 1 and 2 will be doing the kids' fun run through LegoLand (yes, a city made of those little plastic bricks).
Me? I will be passing out sports drinks and water to parched participants. Why am I not running to help out my beloved-yet-materialistic Thing 1? Because:
1) I am more heartless than Cynical Dad at a kindergarten graduation,
2) I really do run like I have a refrigerator on my back, and
3) Someone has to be the pack mule, so why not choose the biggest ass?
Don't be afraid to pass this around. Kids, not just mine, need your help. My sincerest thanks for putting up with this non-commercial commercial interruption
- Click the photo in this post to enlarge the flier for more details on the cause, the race and how you can help.
- The Cure JM Foundation: http://www.curejm.org/
- Carlsbad Marathon and Half Marathon: http://www.carlsbadmarathon.com/
- Photo of our Marine Corps Marathon fundraiser in 2007: http://curejm.shutterfly.com/
- My fundraising page for Thing 1: www.firstgiving.com/kmckeever