Wednesday, June 25, 2008

George Carlin: Comic Genius, Mets Fan

You've read the obits for the great comedian George Carlin by now. What you probably didn't read is that he was a Mets fan.

Check out this clip for a side of Carlin even I wasn't aware of. He is being interviewed by baseball Hall of Famer/Mets announcer/namesake of deceased Uncool dog Ralph Kiner during a rain delay around 1989. It's great for so many reasons, but here are three:
  • The description "Hippy Dippy Weatherman" superimposed under Carlin's name.
  • Carlin explaining: "You can always tell when you start taking drugs, because that's the year you lose track of who won the World Series."
  • Carlin being far more sober and coherent than Kiner.

I sort of vaguely remember seeing this before, maybe when it first aired. But thanks to two great Mets blogs -- Faith and Fear in Flushing and MetsMerized -- for digging it out again

2 comments:

  1. Over the past few days, I have heard many Carlin clips, most I haven't heard in years. I'm struck by how much my adult life now parallels bits I though were hilarious when I was a kid.

    I am Refrigerator Man: The last dumping ground before the trash. All my Stuff is better than everybody else's Shit. And tits? I never have been able to eat just one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same thing happened to me. Amazing how the man really got into people's heads and lives.

    Your blog gives good chuckles. Thanks for coming over to mine. Care for drink?

    ReplyDelete

REMEMBER: You're at your sexiest when you comment.

AddThis

My Uncool Past